Monday, September 14, 2015

Encore encore encore

Photo content of this post happened one week ago, took me awhile to get all the photos I will be needing (I'll never know for sure who will dropped by on this blog of mine, pero mas okay na yung kumpleto rekado di ba) so anyways, this post is mainly about a friend of mine, her name is Jesiela who found her way to finally make (or start) her Theater dreams come true. She and I, I don't know how our friendship started, but we've met way back college. It wasn't a deep friendship in a physical sense but the conversation that flowed every time we talked and converse online or thru phone certainly is as stimulating and engaging as that of the physical one gets. She is one of the best friends of my writer soul, I'd tell you that. We've maintained the conversation, from the struggle of college days, to the soul shattering experience of working in one particular tv network to being a slave in two separate government agencies.  

One of the random conversations we've had is the frustration about Theater, about acting, about drama, about singing, about playacting and the like. We've once had a drama class as one subject in college, it was the most fun class I've experience, to all of us, I remember it was one subject I've truly had hang ups for, I've enjoyed waking up on a Saturday morning to attend the class, always excited about the next activity we would be doing, either individually, by twos or by groups. I had my moments, but I became a wallflower during one of our huge productions, it was too much to handle. Jesiela however excelled and will always excels to whatever endeavor she would take next :) She played major roles to the different subject of drama class, she was applauded and praised. 

Three years have passed since that, but we never forget that amazing experience. We would never forget our dear professor who taught us that amazing class. We constantly talked about that. Few weeks ago, she told me she'd signed up for a workshop class at the PETA Theater. Some weeks after that, she told me about a presentation they are rehearsing as one major output for the workshop. I've missed the thrill of watching one, so I joke about her inviting me, and I'm glad she did, it was amazing! So many talented people in one stage is massive! She didn't give me much background of the story, of what role she will be playing, pero I know she is one of the main casts. The only backstory she told me was the play would revolve around a certain Lola yearning for someone. This Lola is in transit, looking for it, her mode of transpo would be the MRT, just like the rest of the people who rides it to get to the place they need to go. I cried a little when she told me it would be kundiman, my first thought was, nosebleed ito, I wouldn't be able to endure it, she didn't give much reassurance either. That was that. Sunday came, Erika was with me, we would meet Joven and Ruel at PETA Theater. 


We were exactly on time, when I'm with Eka, there's no excuse not to be on time hahaha! We've waited a bit, excited for the play to start. The picture wasn't actually their set (why, we didn't know that there would be three groups doing an entirely three different act) so we took photos, ecstatic.) but you'd know the mood and the ambiance, see. 

The minimal setting, the simple sitting arrangement reminded me so much about college, it also made me feel like I am somehow part or belong to a group of artsy people hahaha ang feeling ko pero that's how it really was. It was cool. 

First act was an amazing play about the whims and struggles of people, every tableau with pictures behind it was a real clap. One performer stood out to me, this girl who played a cashier girl in classic miming of a Starbucks products. Below pictures were the first scene. I had a fleeting crush on the guy sitting next to the girl. lols. 





Wally Bayola, the famous actor playing Tita Nidora in Eat Bulaga's kalyeserye was present as part of the audience. What was he doing there? We found out he had two children enrolled in the workshop, the young boy was a classmate of Jesiela and the young girl was part of the first play, who have a very great throaty voice. Of course, I couldn't resist a pabebe wave picture with him, I tagged along Eka with me hahaha!




The cast of first act, talented bunch all of them, some really stood out whilst others were very memorable for their versatility, grabe, must feel so good to be part of this team or any other team from the either of the group. 





Then comes Jesiela's group where she played the role of Isyang, the Lola who can't be moved haha! I wasn't able to take pictures of the second group, the ideas was grand but somehow it lacked something  I couldn't describe, kulang sa refinement? The acting of some of the actors? The storytelling lacked something? I couldn't be sure. But Jesiela's was a complete surprise, it started with her entrance singing a song about longing for a long gone husband, Kadyo (which by the way was a character played by her boyfriend, Joven way back in college. They paired up on that play, forgot the title but the song was a witty idea haha) 






The whole play was full of life. That bag she's holding tightly right there played an important role latter part of the story, the improvisations were flawless. Her singing voice was throaty kahit na may ubo at sipon, she used to send me tons of Wicked songs before which I didn't even listen quite heartily haha, but she reminded me of one Wicked character she adored so much, the influence was certainly there, which is good, I tell you. 

What we thought as just one hour played turned out to last until 10 pm. We never mind kasi ang sarap manood ng play! 




I wanted to shout encore encore encore pero naalala ko di naman bayad yung pinanood ko or kahit bayad sya, I had to pay for another to sight such Art. 

Syempre di kami nagpahuli sa soon to be theater actor friend namin hahahaha!! 







Ang saya! Clap clap clap! Must have been so awesome and a thrilling experience to be one, to be a part, to be among these talented versatile people of different gender age culture norms to form such Art. 

Congrats, Jes!

No comments:

Post a Comment